The old Sovereign Bank building, now home to Twelves Grill & Café, has a long rich history in West Grove. It was originally built in 1883 by local businessmen Joseph Pyle and Samuel Kent to house the National Bank of West Grove. The bank and local post office shared the first floor with other original occupants Tyson Photographic Studio and Temperance Lodge on the third floor, and West Grove Library on the second.
Many momentous points in the town's history took place in the building. The first edition of the West Grove Independent was printed on the second floor in 1884 by the West Grove Printing Company, becoming the hometown paper for the next 80 years. The first Borough Council meeting was held in the second floor's library room in March of 1894. The Borough used the upper floors for many years to house their offices, the Police Station, and the lower Levels have even served as the town jail.
When we began our restaurant search on March 2007, we knew that renovating an existing property would allow us to create the restaurant of our dreams. In November 2007, Tim was given a tour of the Sovereign Bank buildinsg, recently been purchased by a family friend. Tim immediately envisioned the layout of their restaurant, and renovations began in January of 2008. The building was completely gutted and the birth of Twelves began.
We believe in supporting the local community and worked with local companies throughout construction. Designing the layout and floor plans, from the kitchen equipment to the porcelain tile floors, was no easy process, but a labor of love. Patricia Smith (Tim's mother), Interior Designer, devised the color scheme, materials, and overall décor. And none of this would be possible without the strong support from Dennis Smith (Tim's father). This has been truly been a family venture, after all, they're why we do what we love.
©2013 Twelves Grill & Cafe, Located at 10 Exchange Place in West Grove, Pennsylvania
info@TwelvesGrill.com | 610.869.4020
Twelves photography by Rachel Donley